Monday 19 September 2011

The importance of education: opportunities

The debate is open everywhere. For personal reasons though, I follow it more closely in Belgium and in Spain. As a consequence of another debate (austerity vs. public/fiscal incentives), many governments are cutting spending in all areas, including education.

A very dear old friend of mine (David Esteves, r.i.p.) used to tell me "it's not about spending less, it is about producing more". Therefore in the debate of austerity vs. public spending I am inclined to neither, but to find common sense and middle ground.

To cut spending in education seems like a bad idea. To check whether you are spending intelligently in education is another story. To make teachers work more hours for the same money, as Esperanza Aguirre wants to do in Spain in an attempt to reduce spending, is hardly a prove to spend more intelligently. Teaching is not easy. It is a hard job. I don't put up every teacher in a pedestal. But teachers do deserve greater credit that they are often given.

I think we should spend more, and better, in education. More and better in forming better teachers.  There are many areas where you can reduce spending, including education. I am sure contracts for common good purchasing can be streamlined, IT equipment put into leasing contracts to reduce long term cost of ownership due to constant IT renewal, telephone, electricity and many other utilities bills can surely be reduced by simply renegotiating contracts with providers or by better controlling its use.

If you are going to make teachers work more hours for the same money, make it work for them. Make them use more time to prepare lessons, to attend trainings, to learn about the use of new technologies ... but not to try to make more with less. That won't pay back.

It is about opportunities. I think of myself and I can't help to think where would I be today if I had not had the chance to have good education. To go to college. Would I have make a living? Sure I'd have ... most likely not like the one I have. Most likely I would not be in a position to give to my children the opportunities I try to give them.

Same applies for politicians. They too, should think "where would I be if I had not had the opportunity to study?". Those of us with college degrees seem to take it for granted. Many would say "nobody has given me anything for free, it's all my hard work". I too can say the same. I worked hard at school, and at college. But I'd be lying. My parents gave me all that ... and for free. They took the bill, and not just in money, but in their personal efforts during sometimes very tough times. Not all have that luck as I did.

Politicians should think of that. Should think that they too, would not be where they are without an opportunity for good education.

Mind the reader, if there is any ... I am not a leftist. Quite the contrary if I have to say. But I prefer to not put myself in anybody's ranks, right or left, and try to just think of common sense ...

No comments:

Post a Comment